Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fajitas

Everybody loves Mexican food, but in reality it's not very friendly on the waist line :( I had some left over flank steaks and thought "why not make fajitas?!" Plus, the boyfriend was getting tired of my what he calls "rabbit" food.

I got some fresh veggies & herbs for my mom's salsa recipe <3 it's so simple but has tons of flavor. And instead of those carb-filling tortillas I used some big leafy lettuce cause you know I'm a rabbit~ (I don't know what's it called in english but in Korean its "Sangchu")

  • Mommy's Salsa

    2 Big riped tomatoes
    1 Jalapeño
    1/2 Brown Onion
    1/4 cup of cilantro
    3 tablespoons of ketchup (you can use any kind, I used Heinz reduced sugar cause I'm a calorie counter)
    N/A Tabasco
    Salt & pepper to taste
  • Fajitas

    5 Flank steaks
    4 Cloves of garlic
    2 Large red bell peppers
    1/2 Brown Onion
    1/2 Lemon
    Salt & pepper
1. Salt & pepper your steaks on each side and grill 3 mins on each side. (I like mine medium rare but you can cook them however you like it.) Set aside steaks cover with foil & let it sit for a couple of minutes (2-3mins) so the juices can start flowing in, then cut. Do not cut right away!

** The key to a good steak is do not ''squish'' or move them around, once it hits the grill leave it alone.



2. Chop your tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapeño. Put together in a bowl.



3. Add ketchup & Tabasco (you can add as much as you want depending on how spicy you like it) Mix it around and BOOM! SALSA~



4. Slice bell peppers & onions into long strips, roughly chop your garlic.


5. In a non-stick pan sautee bell peppers for 2-3mins. Add onions & garlic sautee for another 3 mins or until onions has caramelized. Top it off with squeeze of lemon juice.


This is optional but Sam loves onions & cilantro so I made an extra side. Just chop 1/2 onion and cilantro.


Now you are ready to build your fajitas :)




If you're not into the whole veggie wrap style fajitas you can always get whole wheat corn tortilla.



NOM NOM NOM~! Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment