Friday, April 29, 2011

Buckwheat Pumpkin Bowl

Ever since I started my righteous path on healthy eating, I constantly googled different kinds of flours to use for baking. There's always whole wheat flour, wheat cake flour, gluten free flour, and so on. I saw buckwheat flour and thought "Hmm..that's interesting." I've eaten buckwheat since it is in some Korean dishes but never have I baked with it, so I researched what it was and how it can be tamed.

Buckwheat is actually a seed, and it has a very distinctive flavor and strong fragrant. It is incredibly high in magnesium, which can be directly linked to improved cardiovascular functions including improved blood & lowered blood pressure.

That being said, I brainstormed. Hours laying in bed starring at my roof thinking what to make then BINGO! I had an idea :)

Buckwheat Pumpkin Cake! Well....kinda. No ovens or fancy equipments necessary in this recipe, you'll be using your microwave and bowl! OOoOOo!!

  • Buckwheat Pumpkin Cake
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling just pumpkin puree)
1/4 cup almond milk (any milk will do)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Then pour batter into a microwave safe bowl.


2. Microwave for 4 minutes. It should look like a cake. Flip the bowl onto a plate.


Behold! The great pumpkin cake...thing?? (I honestly have no idea what to name this.) It has a pumpkin pie taste but cake form if that makes sense.

Top it off with some berries. I used frozen berries and microwaved them with some honey but feel free to top it off with anything you like unsweetened shredded coconut, sliced almonds, sunflower butter, the combinations are endless. This would make an awesome breakfast it's quick & keeps you full for a long time. Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment